Ted Talk Video: Two adults, two kids, zero waste | Bea Johnson
Since 2008, Bea Johnson and her family are dedicated to living a zero waste lifestyle; they generate a mere quart size jar of waste per year. Through her blog and her book Zero Waste Home, Bea launched a global movement.
She shatters misconceptions, proving that zero waste can not only be “stylish,” but also lead to significant health benefits, and time and money savings.
Zero Waste Journey in Southern Africa
This group is for people living in Southern Africa (South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe & Mozambique) to share tips and ideas on how to reduce their waste.
Two Oceans Aquarium Campaigns
- Straws suck (Link zu https://www.aquarium.co.za/content/page/straws-suck)
- Rethink the Bag (https://www.aquarium.co.za/content/page/rethink-the-bag)
- Tap In (https://www.aquarium.co.za/content/page/tap-into-the-right-water-source)
- Ballon Busters (https://www.aquarium.co.za/content/page/balloon-busters)
Weekly Veggie Boxes They source fresh, organic vegetables and fruit directly from local farmers. Online orders, delivery to your home.
WildOrganicsc.co.za Collection point closest to school: Happy Space, 83 Kloof Nek Road.
ThinkOrganic.co.za Collection point closest to school: Yindee Thai Restaurant, 22 Camp street.
Oranjezicht City Farm (link zu http://www.ozcf.co.za/vegbox/) Collection Point: corner Upper Orange Street and Sidmouth Avenue, Oranjezicht (no delivery). Or else at OCF Market at Granger Bay (close to Waterfront) every Saturday morning.
NudeFoods.co.za Supermarket; 5 Consitution Street Zonneblom
Their bulk wholefoods, health foods, and earth-friendly products are all non-GMO, plastic-free and sold by weight.
Faithful-to-Nature.co.za organic and natural products online store
“I carry my own” campaign
Objective: to get rid of the millions of single use plastic sachets at road running
Places in Cape Town
http://www.capetowngreenmap.co.za/ interactive map that quickly allows you to see green projects in Cape Town such as: green spaces, recycling projects and drop-offs, local green events, markets, green accommodation, eco products and services, alternative energy sites and more.
Smart Living Handbook Cape Town
Advice on water, energy and electricity saving here
French documentary; Optimistic with brilliant ideas and solutions worldwide, won Cesar for best Documentary in 2016; FSK 0 (no age restriction)
Before the Flood
US documentary on climate change by and with Leonardo Di Caprio; FSK 0 (no age restriction)
German documentary on plastic worldwide; FSK 0 (no age restriction)
US documentary on meat and climate change; FSK 6 (from 6 years)
10 Milliarden – wie werden wir alle satt?
German documentary (in German) on feeding the world; FSK 0 (no age restriction)
animated 3min. film about meat consumption (German and English)
The Story of Stuff
20 min. UK animated Documentary about consumption
Other useful websites:
- Climate Reality Project http://climaterealityproject.org/
- EnerGcare http://energcare.co.za/
- Enviropaedia enviropaedia.com
- Event Greening Forum eventgreening.co.za
- Fairtrade in Tourism fairtourismsa.org.za
- FLOW – For Love of Water forloveofwater.co.za
- Full Cycle fullcycle.co.za
- Global Reporting Initiative globalreporting.org
- GBCSA – Green Building Council of SA gbcsa.org.za
- Green Talent greentalent.co.za
- Harvest of Hope harvestofhope.co.za
- My Green Home mygreenhome.org.za
- SASSI Guide wwf.org.za/sassi
- Sustainable Living sustainableliving.co.za
- Story of Stuff storyofstuff.com
- Urban Sprout urbansprout.co.za
- Life in Balance lifeinbalance.co.za